Thursday, November 5, 2020

Week 11 Reading: Sioux Legends, Part A

 

There were two stories that interested me in Part A.

The first is "The Story Of The Lost Wife". I liked the concept of this woman coming to meet the chief of the wolves and living among them. I also liked how she protected them and was able to reunite with her family.

However, I think I'd change the story to have her ultimately stay with the wolves and marry the wolf chief, since he seemed far better than the woman's former husband.

The second one that interested me was "The Wonderful Turtle". I loved how the turtle was portrayed and how he helped that tribe. I also loved how he was rewarded well for his service to the tribe by getting to marry the woman who many others had sought, despite being plain and not particularly attractive. I also liked how he gained the respect of the warriors.

However, I really didn't like the ending to the story. The poor turtle got chased off, then once he came back, he found he'd been cheated on. So I'd probably change the ending in some way to end better for him.

Sources:

"The Story Of The Lost Wife" by Marie McLaughlin

"The Wonderful Turtle" by Marie McLaughlin

Image of a wolf by Wildfaces

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wikipedia Trail: From Church Grim to Raijū

For this wiki trail, I began at the article on the " Church Grim ", since I was researching mythological canines to determine whic...