Friday, November 6, 2020

Week 11 Story: The Lost Wife And The Wolves

 

The Lost Wife And The Wolves

A beautiful young woman named Aurora married a man who promised to always treat her well, but he failed to hold true to his promise. He admonished and beat her and failed to give her what she needed.

And so she drew upon the inner strength she had left and ran away from their village. She ran all day and all night, and the search parties the village sent out were never able to find her.

But eventually, she reached a point where she could go no further. But she had no supplies with which to sustain herself. And so Aurora began to weep while she sat underneath a tree's sheltering branches.

"Stranger, why do you weep?" a man called from beyond the bushes.

"I've run away from my village to leave my terrible husband," Aurora said. "But I can run no further and have no supplies."

"You could stay within my village if you're willing to accept those of a different people than your own," the man said.

"I'll go with you," Aurora said and wiped her tears away. "Where are you?"

The man stepped out of the bushes and Aurora gasped.

A pair of wolf ears were nestled in the young man's shaggy gray hair and a wolf's tail swished behind him.

"You see now what I am, do you still wish to go with me to my village?" the man asked.

"Are all of them like you?" Aurora asked.

The man nodded.

"Then I will still go with you to the village, so long as you promise my safety," Aurora said.

"I promise that you will be safe among us," the wolf-man said.

And so Aurora followed the wolf-man to his village that was full of wolves as well as men, women and children, all of them with wolf ears and tails. She came to learn that they could take the form of wolves as well as their more human-like forms.

Aurora lived with the wolf-man she had met in the forest—who she came to learn was the chief of the wolves—for a year. While she lived among them, she was well taken care of and she grew close to many of the wolves who lived in the village.

One day, the chief of the wolves came to speak to her. "Aurora, hunters from your tribe will come to hunt buffalo here tomorrow, would you please speak to them so that they will not kill us?" he asked.

"Of course," Aurora said.

The next day, she waited on the hill near the village until the hunters of her tribe stumbled upon her.

They recognized her and agreed to avoid harming the wolves, but they asked to bring the village to see her, and she agreed on the condition that they bring offerings of the choice cuts of half of the buffalo that they hunted. They agreed and set off for the village at a steady pace.

They returned a day later with the entire village. Each of their horses was laden with buffalo meat, which they piled before Aurora.

When they finished placing the meat, Aurora howled into the air and all of the wolves bounded out of the village behind her and ate their fill until all of the meat was gone. They then returned to their more human forms and stood behind Aurora while she greeted her loved ones who had thought her long lost.

Her parents urged her to return to her husband and rejoin the tribe, but Aurora refused. She threw her arms around the chief of the wolves and told her parents that she had found someone who had actually kept his promise to her, and she would rather stay with him than return to her former husband.

Her family was saddened by her decision, but respected it. And so each year her former tribe came to have a feast with the village of the wolves and Aurora happily lived with the chief of the wolves forever after.


Author's Note:

I largely kept pretty true to the original story's plot with my rendition, though I tweaked some aspects of how the story was told, such as cutting out the extremely large section about the chief of the wolves preparing the woman's meat exactly how she would normally prepare it by asking her all of the steps.

I also decided to make the wolves all have the ability to take human instead of just the chief. I also gave them all wolf ears and tails in human form since I thought it made sense that they might retain some wolf traits.

The biggest change I made was to the ending, since I didn't like how the original story ended. The original story ended with the woman rejoining her village after the year and while she resisted him for a long while, she eventually reconciled with her husband. So I decided to change the story and have her stay with the wolf chief instead, since I thought that was a far better ending.


Bibliography:

Story Source: "The Story Of The Lost Wife" by Marie McLaughlin

Image Source: Photo of wolves taken by WorldInMyEyes


3 comments:

  1. Hey there,
    I enjoyed reading through your story and thought some elements of it made it perfect. The dialogue you included made it really intriguing to read. One suggestion I would have is to maybe spice up the story a bit. Maybe something bad could happen with the hunters or bison. Though overall I thought you did a really good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi CJ!
    I really like all of the dialogue you included in your story. I hardly ever do dialogue, i feel like it's difficult for me. But yours is smooth and purposeful! I like the decisions you made when creating these characters. Allowing all members of the tribe to shape shift is a fun image, and cute!. I also like that you changed the ending the woman stayed with her new family. Sometimes going back to what is familiar isn't always the best decision for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi CJ! I enjoyed reading your version of this story. I thought it flowed very nicely. I like how you decided to let all the tribe members be able to turn into human form. I also think it was great that you changed the ending. I agree that it is better a ending than Aurora going back to her awful husband. Keep up the good work! We're almost done!

    ReplyDelete

Wikipedia Trail: From Church Grim to Raijū

For this wiki trail, I began at the article on the " Church Grim ", since I was researching mythological canines to determine whic...