Thursday, September 3, 2020

Reading Notes: Week 2 Anthology

 

Basilisk by Friedrich Johann Justin Bertuch 

Out of the stories in the anthology I read, a few caught my interest for a variety of reasons.

Pygmalion caught my interest in that it's a story about bringing what was formerly inert to life, and it's done in thanks to the great service of someone. A story like that, involving a metamorphosis of some kind, has a lot of room for very vivid imagery, which the story here did much of. 

Androcles and the Lion is a fun story in that it involves a unique friendship that eventually comes to save both of their lives. It could be interesting to potentially explore a similar kind of premise, and to see where that might take me.

The story of The Three Roses is similar to a great many fairy tales, such as including the common theme of a maiden being handed over to a monster, having a monster secretly be someone attractive that was cursed or something similar, and having a mundane act lead to a great cost.

I think that the story of The Three Roses might be the one I ultimately choose to work off of, since I believe it has the most room for me to work in. I might potentially alter the beginning of the story to be a bit shorter, since the actual story spent about half the story before the roses are even encountered. That would give me more room to work on the rest of the story, where the crux of the story lies.

I might also alter the ending of the story, as the ending felt a bit abrupt and poorly explained. Adding a line about a curse or something like that would at least help give a reason for why the prince was a basilisk.

The part about the serpent coming out of the neck of the basilisk also seemed interesting, and I feel I could work off of that to do more than what was done in the original story. The serpent appears and is decapitated in the very next line. So perhaps making the monster something of a Russian nesting doll could be a fun twist on the story, where she might have to cut off the monster's head every three days, until it eventually becomes a prince when she finally reaches the last layer.

Bibliography

Pygmalion by Ovid (Source)

Androcles And The Lion by Aesop (Source)

The Three Roses by Josef Baudis (Source)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wikipedia Trail: From Church Grim to Raijū

For this wiki trail, I began at the article on the " Church Grim ", since I was researching mythological canines to determine whic...