Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Reading Notes: Saints & Animals, Part A

Photo of American Robin

Of all of the stories in Part A, I found the story of Saint Kentigern and the Robin to be the most interesting. I also believe it has some unique story potential for me, given two particular scenes within it.

The first of which is the revitalization of the cold and dead hearth by Kentigern, which I think would be a great opportunity to make use of strong imagery, and I could also potentially alter the method in which he does so to make it more mystical, rather than seeming to be of sheer luck that Kentigern was able to reignite the hearth.

The other is the cruel decapitation of the robin and Kentigern's subsequent resurrection of the poor bird. Scenes such as those open themselves well to vivid imagery, and the resurrection would be a good place to add another dose of mysticism to the story.

I could also potentially add some more mystical elements that would come into play in order to help foil the attempts of the other boys to bring down Kentigern, to help tie the entire thing together more thoroughly with the mystical twist on the story.

Additionally, I may lean further into the ending in which the robin gains a special attachment to Kentigern, and potentially bring in some sort of mystical element to it to bring it back in with the rest.


Story Source: Saint Kentigern and the Robin by Abbie Farwell Brown (Part 1) (Part 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wikipedia Trail: From Church Grim to Raijū

For this wiki trail, I began at the article on the " Church Grim ", since I was researching mythological canines to determine whic...