Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Project Topic Brainstorm

A Shipwreck in Stormy Seas by Claude-Joeseph Vernet


The first topic I am considering working with is doing a motif of dogs that have a connection to the dead, as I find guardians of the dead really interesting, and I happen to love canines. Some notable examples I could potentially work with are the "Black Dog", "Church Grim", and, of course, "Cerberus", and his lesser known brother, "Orthrus".

Sea monsters are another motif I'm considering, and if I can, I'd love to potentially focus in on sea monsters that guard something, someplace or someone. I've always found the concept of a monstrous guardian really cool, since it can paint even the more terrifying monster in a bit of a different light. And I like sea monsters in particular since I feel they tend to have an extra edge of terror to them simply due to their domain. We humans acknowledge that we cede our superiority to aquatic life when in the water, so that's likely why the idea that a monster is at an advantage in the same environment we are at a grave disadvantage is so horrifying to us.

Another motif that I think might be fun to explore is the undead, both corporeal and incorporeal. I've always enjoyed the dark theming that often accompanies the undead, but oddly enough, I find the concept of neutral or helpful undead to be the most interesting. I suppose it's something of a "don't judge a book by its cover", where just because something is undead doesn't mean it has to be evil.

The last motif I'm considering is maybe doing something with fairy rings. Fairy rings are kind of fun in that they can be associated with a variety of things based on what they look like, where they're found, and of course, the mythology and folklore of the area. I feel I could tell a rather diverse set of stories if I chose to do something with fairy rings. They can be portals to another place, mark a supernatural creature's domain or serve as an omen, good or bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wikipedia Trail: From Church Grim to Raijū

For this wiki trail, I began at the article on the " Church Grim ", since I was researching mythological canines to determine whic...